No one, in the team, that I presently work in at Cummins Midrange Engine Plant in Walesboro, Indiana cares much for decorating the work place for the holidays. Me, on the other hand, I like to see a little Christmas spirit where ever I am. Last year, I used the feet off of cardboard pallets (Thank you, Krupp, crankshafts for the supplies!), spray painted them green and filled in the voids with christmas ornaments and even added a tiny manger scene. I left a few empty and everyday some people in the team received a candy treat (these were rotated so everyone in the team received some candy every few days). There wasn't much to it, but it did add some Christmas cheer.
This isn't a very good picture for seeing the nativity, but you can just make it out in the 3rd row from the top:
This year I am thinking a traditional tree -- just a little table top tree. But with none traditional colors of silver and black. Here are the supplies I am going to use to make the first of the ornaments:
Notes: (The stuffed tiger is not a supply, he was just sitting on the back of the chair).
Added to these supplies are vinyl cutouts of the Cummins logo.
Water based polycrylic works much better than oil based. It costs twice as much, but is well worth it.
Directions:
First, I poured some of the polycrylic into little Dixie cups, making it more manageable, then, I poured it into the clear glass ornaments (40% off at Hobby Lobby) making sure to coat the entire inside surface. I poured out the excess once it was coated. And wiped off the outside of the ornament in case there was any that ran down the sides. Then I poured in some silver glitter, twirling it around until the entire inside was coated and again poured out the excess. I then set them aside to dry with the ornament caps still off (I waited 24 hours to make sure they were good and dry). Next, I put the caps back on and rubbed on the vinyl C's.
I am going to make enough of these that everyone on the team will have one to take home. And I am going to make 4 or 5 boxes extra in varying colors to hang on the Christmas tree in the plant lobby. I hope they like it!
Now, I just need more black and silver ornaments to fill our little tree out. Wonder if I can find some shiny black ribbon...
The finished tree:
This isn't a very good picture for seeing the nativity, but you can just make it out in the 3rd row from the top:
Notes: (The stuffed tiger is not a supply, he was just sitting on the back of the chair).
Added to these supplies are vinyl cutouts of the Cummins logo.
Water based polycrylic works much better than oil based. It costs twice as much, but is well worth it.
Directions:
First, I poured some of the polycrylic into little Dixie cups, making it more manageable, then, I poured it into the clear glass ornaments (40% off at Hobby Lobby) making sure to coat the entire inside surface. I poured out the excess once it was coated. And wiped off the outside of the ornament in case there was any that ran down the sides. Then I poured in some silver glitter, twirling it around until the entire inside was coated and again poured out the excess. I then set them aside to dry with the ornament caps still off (I waited 24 hours to make sure they were good and dry). Next, I put the caps back on and rubbed on the vinyl C's.
I am going to make enough of these that everyone on the team will have one to take home. And I am going to make 4 or 5 boxes extra in varying colors to hang on the Christmas tree in the plant lobby. I hope they like it!
Now, I just need more black and silver ornaments to fill our little tree out. Wonder if I can find some shiny black ribbon...
The finished tree:





No comments:
Post a Comment